CloudCheckr allows users to create Multi-Account Views, which allow you to look at all the resources in multiple Accounts through a single view. This is accomplished by allowing you to tag individual Accounts and then designating tags in the Multi-Account View to determine the set of Accounts to combine. With Multi-Account Views you can create complex views across large sets of accounts and slice and dice data across multiple tags.
EXAMPLE USE CASE
Traditionally, Multi-Account Views will be used by customers who utilize AWS Consolidated Billing. You would simply apply the same tag to each CloudCheckr Account that is part of the consolidated family, and use that tag to create your Multi-Account View. However, there are other practical uses for this setup.
Here is an example use case, where a customer has 4 AWS Accounts utilizing Consolidated Billing.
Accounts A and B are used for their QA environment. Accounts C and D are used in their production environment.
They create two Account Tags on Accounts A and B:
Tag 1: All Accounts
Tag 2: QA environment
They create two Account Tags on Accounts C and D:
Tag 1: All Accounts
Tag 2: Production Environment
Using these tags the customer creates 2 separate Multi-Account Views.
Multi-Account View 1 is configured using the All Accounts tag. This allows them to see reports spanning all of their consolidated accounts.
They create a second Multi-Account View that uses the QA Environment tag. This allows them to view and monitor only the resources that run within their QA environment.
The third Multi-Account view is configured with the Production Environment tag. This provides a view into all of the resources running within their Production environment.
Multi-Account Views provide you with the flexibility to see rolled-up reports across whichever accounts you’d like.
CREATING MULTI-ACCOUNT VIEWS & TAGGING ACCOUNTS
CloudCheckr allows you to tag whichever accounts you’d like upon creating your Multi-Account View(s). Follow these steps to get your Multi-Account View up and running quickly:
1. To create a Multi-Account View, first click the Create New Multi-Account View button.
2. Enter an appropriate name for this View. Click Create.
3. Upon creation you will be prompted to choose which tags to apply to your Multi-Account View. If you do not have any tags created yet, you can click the ‘Or create a new tag’ link.
4. In the Create new Tag pop-up, give a name for your tag. Then choose which accounts to add to the tag.
NOTE: Whichever accounts you select here will be used to build the reports within the Multi-Account View.
5. Once you have decided which accounts to tag click the Create button. CloudCheckr will then begin building reports within your Multi-Account View using the accounts that have been tagged.